The M.Eng. in Energy Systems program is a non-thesis, non-research degree program. Applicants must hold either a bachelor’s or master’s degree in natural sciences or engineering. In addition, applicants must have at least a 3.0 or higher GPA in their last two years of undergraduate study.
International students whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS Exam Scores.
- Fall Term:
- International: April 15th
- Domestic students and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign: June 1st
- Spring Term:
- International: October 1st
- Domestic students and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign: November 15th
- Summer Term:
- All Applicants: April 15th
Steps to Apply
All parts of the application, including the application fee, must be received by the application deadline. Late applications may not be accepted. In addition, incomplete applications will be subject to denial. In addition, all admission decisions will be communicated via email to the email address provided in the application.
- Complete the university’s Online Application.
- Pay the application fee – $70 for US citizens and permanent residents and $90 for international students. Application fee must be paid using a credit card through the online application and is non-refundable.
- Submit unofficial transcripts for all completed university coursework with the Online Application. Official transcripts will be required upon admission and acceptance to the program and sent to College of Engineering Energy Systems Graduate Program, 400 Engineering Hall, 1308 West Green Street, Urbana, Illinois 61801. Electronic transcripts should be sent to Amy McCullough at email@example.com.
- Submission of 3 Letters of Recommendation. Individuals writing letters of recommendation on your behalf should submit their letters through the online application system.
- Statement of Purpose. This is a part of the online application form. This statement should include your background and goals as they relate to Energy Systems. It is good to include any past work history, your interests, and reason for pursuing a graduate degree in Energy Systems. Generally a statement of purpose is between one and two pages.
- Resume. This is a part of the online application form. Your resume should address your education, job experience, remarkable achievements, publications, organizations, awards, and leadership experiences.
- TOEFL and IELTS Exam Scores (for International Students only). This is for all students whose native language is not English, which includes permanent residence of the United States (green card). You may check to see of you are exempt from this requirement based on your country of citizenship. Please be sure to carefully read the admission requirements. International students whose native language is not English must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 103 (iBT), 257 (CBT) or 613 (PBT); or minimum IELTS academic exam scores of 7.0 overall and in all subsections to be considered for full status admission. Applicants with TOEFL scores of 92 (iBT), 235 (CBT), or 580 (PBT); or IELTS of 6.5 overall and 6.0 in all subsections, will be considered for limited status admission with an English as a Second Language placement test required.
- Check your status of your application materials to ensure all materials have been submitted.
Financial Certification Form – Completed only if Offered Admissions
If admission is offered, international applicants must submit the Financial Form and certification of finances. This form does not need to be submitted with the application materials.